The summer transfer window is closed for the major leagues in Europe. However, with an eye on January, there’s plenty of gossip swirling about who’s moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings, goings and, of course, done deals!
TOP STORY: Chelsea’s Potter prefers others over Ronaldo
Chelsea remain in the market for a striker, but it looks unlikely that player will be Cristiano Ronaldo, according to CBS.
Club owner Todd Boehly remains keen on the 37-year-old Manchester United star, but he is willing to trust the call of manager Graham Potter, who has multiple players he would prefer to sign instead of Ronaldo.
One of those is AC Milan forward Rafael Leao, to whom the Blues were previously linked at the end of the summer transfer window. While it is unclear whether they will be able to reach an agreement with the Serie A champions for him, it is reported that Potter would also prioritise moves for Canada international Jonathan David and Brentford’s Ivan Toney over Ronaldo.
Toney, 26, has scored eight Premier League goals this season, while 22-year-old David has contributed to 12 goals in 12 games for Lille in Ligue 1.
– Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, more (U.S.)
10.58 BST: Ajax chief Edwin van der Sar says the club have struggled after losing manager Erik ten Hag, as well as top players Anthony and Lisandro Martinez, to Man United.
“Absolutely, it has been the toughest [window] because of the sheer number of players we lost,” he told The Times. “We know that’s our position; we can’t really cope with the money and wages paid overseas, so it’s difficult to keep your foot in the door.”
On defender Martinez, who joined for €57.37m, he added: “It was our opinion they should stay for another year. We gave a firm ‘no’ to Arsenal when they came first for Lisandro; we fought hard to keep him.”
And on €95m winger Anthony he said: “It was [an] economic [decision] but it was a hard one to take. We knew there was interest but not at that level and it was too late to find a good replacement. I don’t think the way [Antony] handled it was the correct one, but it’s important all the players who leave Ajax have success because it reflects well on us.”
10.23 BST: Aston Villa will have to pay Sporting CP a compensation fee of €10m to appoint Ruben Amorim as their new manager, according to the Daily Telegraph.
Villa sacked Steven Gerrard last week following a 3-0 loss at Fulham, his 19th defeat in just 40 games in charge. The club have made former Tottenham Hotspur and Paris Saint-Germain boss Mauricio Pochettino their No. 1 target, although the Argentine coach is set to turn them down.
Amorim, who led Sporting to their first Primeira Liga title in 2020-21, has a contract at the Estadio Jose Alvalade that runs until the end of next season, with the option of a 12-month extension.
09.36 BST: Fluminense’s Brazilian winger Matheus Martins has revealed he is in talks to sign for Italian club Udinese.
Martins, who scored eight goals and set up three more in 42 appearances across all competitions for Fluminense, is under contract with the Brazilian club until June 2024.
Udinese have offered Fluminense €8m for 90% of Martins’ sporting rights. Fluminense turned down several offers from Udinese for the 19-year-old in the summer.
“The negotiations are still ongoing,” Martins said when asked about a potential move to Udinese from Fluminense. “Once a deal is reached, everyone will know. “I have the desire to play abroad.”
08.48 BST: Bayern Munich sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic has talked up the talents of Harry Kane as the Tottenham Hotspur striker continues to be linked with a move to the German giants.
Kane was asked earlier this month about the persistent reports about interest from the Bundesliga champions and, whil the England captain dismissed the reports, he did say : “For sure Bayern are a top, top club, but all my concentration is on Tottenham.”
Speaking on the Bayern Insider podcast on Sunday, Salihamidzic returned the compliment. by saying: “He is one of the best players in the world. But we are not talking about players who are under contract with other clubs.”
He added: “We’ve done a lot this summer and I think we’re very well prepared for the whole season. “We won’t be active on the transfer market in winter.”
08.00 BST: Crystal Palace will open talks with Wilfried Zaha over a new contract, manager Patrick Vieira has said.
Zaha, 29, is out of contract in the summer, and has expressed his desire to leave for a club playing Champions League football on more than one occasion.
Arsenal and Chelsea, two clubs who have been in for the Ivory Coast international in the past, are two of the clubs who have been monitoring his situation this season.
“Wilfried knows what the club think about him, and we know what he thinks about the club,” Vieira said. There will be discussions taking place [over a new contract] but for myself and for the club what is important is for him to play at this level and to be consistent and to help those young players around him to grow and we will see what will happen.
“If Wilfried Zaha has a good day, the team will have a good day. He’s an important player on and off the field, he’s got the experience and today he was really good in possession and out of possession he worked really hard.”
Janusz Michallik praises the tactical changes made by Graham Potter and Erik ten Hag in Chelsea’s 1-1 draw with Man United.
PAPER GOSSIP (Adam Brown)
– Evan Ndicka has been identified as a potential alternative if Paris Saint-Germain are unable to strike a deal with Internazionale for Milan Skriniar, reports Le10 Sport. The Ligue 1 club believe there is a possibility that Simone Inzaghi’s side will decide to keep their star centre-back at San Siro, and it is reported that Ndicka is PSG’s Plan B. The 23-year-old centre-back has made 16 appearances across all competitions for Eintracht Frankfurt this season.
– Discussions over Jude Bellingham will be allowed to take place after the World Cup, says Calciomercato. Borussia Dortmund are hopeful that the tournament will see the 19-year-old England international midfielder’s valuation rise beyond its current €120m, and they are therefore waiting until after the tournament before listening to any offers for his signature. He has been in impressive form this season, with eight goals and two assists in 17 matches.
– Bayern Munich have no plans to make an approach for Marcus Thuram in January, reveals Bild. The 25-year-old Borussia Monchengladbach forward has recently been linked with Julian Nagelsmann’s side, but club sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic informed the Berlin-based outlet that they currently have no plans to make signings for the squad when the January window opens, with Thuram’s contract expiring in 2023.
– Barcelona look to have stepped up their interest in Borussia Dortmund and Germany youth international Youssoufa Moukoko, writes Ekrem Konur. The Blaugrana are understood to have sent scouts to watch him in BVB’s recent Bundesliga clash against VfB Stuttgart, in which the 17-year-old forward registered a goal and an assist. He has also been linked with Liverpool.
– Endrick has been on the radar of a number of clubs of late, but Paris Saint-Germain have made the offer for his services, according to Sport. PSG have tabled a proposal worth €20m to sign the 16-year-old Palmeiras forward, with the Ligue 1 club keen to win the race for his signature when he turns 18. Multiple sides across Europe, including Real Madrid and Barcelona, have been linked with interest in him, though the Brazilian club could stand firm after being reported to have included a €60m release clause in the contract that he signed in the summer.